Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Communications Coordinator to join our dedicated and talented Communications team in our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
The Communications Coordinator will provide support to all areas of MEDA. As part of Marketing & Communications team, the Coordinator works closely with staff in all departments to support development and distribution of content for various MEDA audiences across all MEDA digital channels including web and social media to promote MEDA’s expertise, impact and leadership.
- Job Status: Full-time
- Start Date: August 2021
- Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Content Planning, Creation and Organization (40%)
- Coordination of an integrated marketing and communications strategy, in consultation with the Director, Corporate & Creative Communications and the Director, Marketing & Constituent Engagement.
- Coordinate content creation and distribution across multiple platforms including social media, website pages, videos, and branded MEDA emails.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the social media strategy. Includes day-to-day management and implementation of marketing campaigns for all MEDA social media accounts.
- Plan and organize the weekly, monthly, and annual social media content calendar with members of the Marcom team, including relevant global social campaigns, international holidays/commemorative days, and international observances.
- Design visual assets for use in social media including photo visuals, short videos, slideshows, GIFs, and interactive stories, in collaboration with Sr. Designer, Graphics as needed.
- Collect, edit and publish success stories and blog articles on the MEDA website. Coordinate publishing schedule to align with strategy, collaborating with staff (including international MEDA interns) to solicit source content in a timely manner.
- Assist in the research, development and posting of website copy, blogs, and video scripts
- Provide guidance on blogging, photography, and videography best practices with global staff as part of a Communications Community of Practice
Thought Leadership and Positioning (25%)
- Curate content that showcases MEDA’s expertise and impact through videos, blogs, social media, web content, and other forms of multimedia
- Ensure MEDA corporate voice is accurately promoted in all digital content and social channels. Actively engage with relevant online communities and stakeholder accounts as related to MEDA’s areas of expertise and focus.
- Promote MEDA and MEDA staff as leaders in the international economic development field through the marketing of conferences, panels, learning series documents, white papers, and news articles.
- Contribute to the writing, list-building, and designing of branded email communications including dissemination of promotional materials, events, newsletters.
- Responsible to coordinate and plan, research, edit, and write content for MEDA’s monthly MEDAzine newsletter, in collaboration with the Marcom team.
- Monitor MEDA media mentions and relevant sectoral news using Meltwater, and curate weekly top news email to MEDA staff
- Create design mock-ups of webpages using Adobe XD, reviewing content with an eye towards the intended audience, and giving consideration to best practices for UX/UI
- Provide website content updates and support to web designer as requested
- Support to select appropriate and dynamic images for website
General Marketing & Communications Support (10%)
- Maintain Marketing SharePoint site, including Marketing portfolio and client stories, including Story Content Tracker and maintain a detailed understanding of MEDA’s photography database.
- Collect, monitor, and analyze social metrics, perform competitor analysis, and make suggestions and improvements accordingly.
- Contribute to the oversight and management of MEDA’s brand and branding standards
- Contribute to Marketing & Communications efforts to grow the giving pyramid in the $1,000 and under range
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Education: University degree in communications, marketing, journalism, fundraising, business or related field
Experience: Minimum two years’ work experience in communications, marketing, fundraising, or related field
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Familiarity with bi and multi-lateral governmental agencies, donors, non-governmental organizations and other development agencies
- Experience with social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, particularly SEO and social media marketing
- Experience writing content for various platforms, including websites, newsletters, blogs, videos etc, with strong written communication skills.
- Must be able to manage competing priorities, communicate with various project stakeholders, and independently meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications, website content management systems, and familiarity with project planning software such as Asana. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite an asset
- Willingness to undertake international travel
- The ability to speak other languages, such as French and/or Spanish, is an asset
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 3, 2021 @ 4:00 pm EST.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.